This is a short blog to let you know that IBM does not intend to continue support for IBM i Access (aka Client Access) beyond Windows 8.1. Get ready for a Java-based IBM i Access, which will be better for mobile devices, like Apple iPad, as well as Windows 10.
IBM does not plan to support IBM i Access for Windows on operating systems beyond Windows 8.1.
This IBM announcement is particularly important to IBM i(AS400) who may plan to add Windows 10 users and do NOT have IBM SWMA to get access to the replacement product is IBM i Access Client Solutions, which includes 5250 emulation, data transfer, printer output, console support, and more. For information regarding IBM i Access Client Solutions, refer to
IBM i Access Client Solutions is the newest member of the IBM i Access family. It provides a Java based, platform-independent interface that runs on most operating systems that support Java, including Linux, Mac, and Windows.
IBM i Access Client Solutions consolidates the most commonly used tasks for managing your IBM i into one simplified location.
The latest version of IBM i Access Client Solutions is available to customers with an IBM i software maintenance contract. If you have been using the technology preview, you will need to obtain and deploy the latest version from Entitled Software Support (ESS) in order to maintain uninterrupted connectivity to your IBM i. It can be downloaded from the Entitled Software Support (ESS) website under 5761-SS1 (feature codes 5817, 5818, 5819) or 5770-SS1 (feature codes 5817, 5818, or 5819)
- 5250 display and printer emulation based on IBM’s Host-on-Demand
- 5250 Session Manager support modeled after IBM Personal Communications Session Manager
- Multiple language support for concurrent 5250 emulation sessions on the same client
- Data Transfer similar to IBM i Access for Windows Data Transfer plus support for OpenDocument spreadsheet (*.ods), Excel Workbook (*.xlsx), and other file formats
- Data Transfer integration with Excel and OpenOffice
- Simplified SSL Configuration
- Download and viewing of spool files
- IBM i Virtual Control Panel for LAN and HMC consoles
- 5250 emulation for LAN and HMC consoles
- Consolidation of hardware management interface configurations, including ASMI, IVM, and HMC
You must have IBM Software Support (SWMA) to access IBM i Access Client Solutions from ESS.
I frequently talk to IBM i users that think about discontinuing IBM SWMA to cut costs. Sure, their system may be stable with few changes anticipated. They feel the pressure to cut cost. However, if you expect to add Windows 10 (or new printer with new drivers, for that matter), it is essential to have IBM SWMA to have access to the software you will need to interface new devices.